Penny Fletcher provides stellar copy editing services through her business, Write Your Heart Out. She has performed coached edits on more than 300 books from 1998 to the present. Additionally, she has spent her time teaching fiction techniques at The Center 4 Life Learning in Sun City Center, Florida.
Penny offers full services, whether a task involves a line-item edit for errors, deep substantive editing, or complete rewriting of short stories, white papers, and manuscripts. She edits manuscripts in Chicago style, the traditional publishers’ standard, in American or British English. For short stories and newspaper articles, she uses Associated Press (AP) style.
1. At the start of every job, the client has to sign a flat fee contract. Penny guarantees that there will be no hourly charges or hidden expenses. The minimum fee for short stories and white papers is $50. Please note that manuscripts are accepted in Word format only, and authors are charged by word count at a rate of $50 for every 5,000 words (e.g., 5,000 divides into 30,000 six times. 6 x $50 = $300).
2. To start a manuscript, Penny requires a deposit of half of the fee via PayPal. This payment method takes credit cards, making payment easy. Clients who do not have an account may still pay through PayPal if Penny emails an invoice to them. She also takes checks in the mail from those who don’t trust putting their information online.
3. Once done editing, Word files are sent back to the authors with all changes in color so that they have a chance to accept or deny any individual change before the manuscript is finalized.
4. Penny regularly promotes her clients’ work in her monthly newsletter, on her social media accounts, and by linking to their POS online.
5. When working on hourly jobs, or for consulting, Penny charges $45 an hour.